Andrew Rogers's Reviews > The Island of Dr. Moreau

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells

Sep 13, 11

I remember watching the movie when I was younger and thinking, "What is this all about?" Later in life, I remembered how intriguing the concept was, and I had to read the book. H.G. Wells' writing is what made me interested in reading science fiction. This book highlights several important themes dealing with the ethical boundaries of science. During the time the book was written, there was great scientific debate in Britain on animal vivisection, which is the central concept of the narrative. The book may have played a part in inspiring the development of the British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection, which was created two years after the publication of The Island of Dr. Moreau, and still exists today. On reading this book, I'm reminded of some of the themes in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, without the Romantic focus. The narrative and journalistic writing style present works well for Edward Prendick, the protagonist, to explain the horrors and abominations he witnessed on the island. As seen in this book, as well as in several of Wells' writings, he challenges the limits of scientific study, which is admirable and deserving of widespread recognition, in my opinion. I could only hope to be as willing and courageous to take on such controversial challenges with my writing in the future.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Island of Dr. Moreau.