Atziri's Reviews > Swimmy

Swimmy by Leo Lionni

Sep 11, 2011

bookshelves: picture-books-genre, young-readers-genre, caldecott-medal
Read in October, 2011

This picture book is beautifully illustrated with watercolor paintings. It tells a story about "Swimmy" a little fish that was totally different from all others in his family. Everyone in his family was red colored, but he was black. Swimmy survives a ferocious attack from a tuna and is left with no family. He swims through the ocean and marvels on the beauty of other fish and life in the ocean. He finds another school of fish like his own and joins them. Swimmy teaches them how to work together and protect themselves from other big fish. The group together in such a way that they look as if together they were a big fish. Swimmy positions himself as the eye of the big fish.

The story offers several concepts that could be discussed in a class or with one's own child. With the illustrations taking on a whole page, words are kept to a minimum, but it is very well balanced.

Leo Lionni, originally from the Netherlands, is also the author of a book I had read when I was very small Inch by Inch and loved it. He is the author and illustrator of most of his books from what information I found of him. Here is a quote he wrote:

“I believe that a good children's book should appeal to all people who have not completely lost their original joy and wonder in life. The fact is that I don't make books for children at all. I make them for that part of us, of myself and of my friends, which has never changed, which is still a child.”
― Leo Lionni

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swimmy.