karen's Reviews > Cat's Eye

Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood

Dec 04, 2013

bookshelves: upstairs-neighbors, littry-fiction, girls-gone-wild
Read from September 11 to 15, 2011

i know for a fact that books were written and published after this one, but i can't for the life of me understand why.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cat's Eye.

message 101: by Eh?Eh! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eh?Eh! Hah! Okay, perhaps I'm in denial about the power of dairy because I love it and don't want anyone to knock it. The sugar of ice cream and the salt of cheese, I am not affected by these! Nyah nyah!

I guess I don't eat them as often and in such amounts that it would block other flavors, like what happens when you bombard your mouth with Top Ramen for lunch and Hostess for snacks.

message 102: by j (new) - added it

j it's hard to say, but it's undeniable. fact: pizza without cheese tastes better. i'm not saying cheese pizza doesn't fulfill a different niche. but the toppings are so much more flavorful (and... apparent) without cheese.

message 103: by Eh?Eh! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eh?Eh! I'd like to get back to our blow-up doll roots now.

message 104: by Eh?Eh! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eh?Eh! Oops, I missed your post, Joel. I think you're right about more flavorful toppings without cheese, especially when it comes to vegetables. But my favorite pizzas feature more cheeses and garlic, heh. Don't you find that tomato sauce can cause the same muffling of other toppings?

message 105: by j (new) - added it

j not really, good tomato sauce can act as an accent... it doesn't muffle like cheese.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Garlic makes everything good. Check out this sweet tip in mass-peeling of garlic: http://vimeo.com/29605182

message 107: by Eh?Eh! (last edited Oct 09, 2011 06:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eh?Eh! ...where were you 20 years ago when mom made the whole family peel a few hundred heads of garlic? Although, it looks like the procedure bruises the cloves. I'm not sure if that would've been acceptable.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I tried it the other day. It worked like a charm.

message 109: by Miriam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miriam Eh!, what do you do with the pickled garlic? They sell bulk jars/frozen blocks of it at my local Korean grocer.

Also, do you know a vegetable that looks like a kind of big, smooth zucchini called something like "malb"? It was next to bitter melon at the store, for what it's worth.

message 110: by Eh?Eh! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eh?Eh! It's banchan! Or panchan. Is there a combined b/p sound? You eat it with the rice, like kimchi. Good for your health! Many sons and daughters! Also, keeps vampires away.

Hmm, I don't know that name. Can you locate an internet photo of it?

message 111: by karen (new) - rated it 5 stars

karen as long as my dairy intake doesn't interfere with my ability to taste nutella, i don't care.

message 112: by Miriam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miriam Ok, Eh!, I took a photo!

There is my cat for added cuteness scale.

message 113: by Eh?Eh! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eh?Eh! Ohhhhhh!! Your cat, so cute! The little head tilt, the sweet little tailtip...Imma catnap!

Hmmmm...I have no idea about your mystery vegetable. At this scale, it looks like a cucumber or zucchini. Have you cut it? Does it taste different? Do you have a closeup?

message 114: by karen (new) - rated it 5 stars

karen aww, your cat does not know what to make of it...

message 115: by Miriam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miriam Here is a close-up:

It seems like a harder, more sour cucumber. I think I'll try making muchim and see how it comes out.

message 116: by Eh?Eh! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eh?Eh! Huh. I have no clue. More picture of cat!

message 117: by Miriam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miriam I am packing up the cat to send to you, Eh!

message 118: by Eh?Eh! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eh?Eh! Yaayyyy!!! Poke some airholes in the side!

message 119: by karen (new) - rated it 5 stars

karen oh that is just adorable

Cynthia Kitty needs a bigger box. Yes with holes please.

message 121: by Miriam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miriam Oxygen, good call! Maybe I should send a cat by gyrocopter instead

message 122: by [deleted user] (new)

I understand what you mean completely.

message 123: by Aerin (new)

Aerin This is one of my favorite books, and this review is all that need be said.

message 124: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue I read this years ago, and now plan a re-read!

message 125: by Bianca (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bianca That's the most clever and efficient book review ever!!

message 126: by karen (new) - rated it 5 stars

karen i am thinking about repurposing it for each and every one of my book reports from here on out.

message 127: by Cecily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cecily Short, sweet and to the point. Great review.

message 128: by karen (new) - rated it 5 stars

karen ha! thank you!

message 129: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Estrella Reading this one know, via your rec (& my general love for everything Atwood) Sometimes I just need a sure thing!

message 130: by karen (new) - rated it 5 stars

karen this should scratch that itch!!

message 131: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Estrella Read half of it last night and so far so good! So far it's great actually!

Can't say I've ever hated any little girl characters so much and so thoroughly! Please tell me Cordelia gets what's coming to her...!

message 132: by karen (new) - rated it 5 stars

karen i say NOTHING! but half in one night - impressive!

message 133: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Estrella I finished it. Whoa sure took a twist, I ended up feeling sorry for Cordelia!

message 134: by karen (new) - rated it 5 stars

karen aww - look at your emotional journey through the book! look what atwood hath wrought!

message 135: by Georgie (new) - added it

Georgie what an incredible way to describe a book.

message 136: by karen (new) - rated it 5 stars

karen thanks! i was at a loss to review this one, and that's all my gut was telling me!

1 3 next »