Alejandra's Reviews > Emory's Gift

Emory's Gift by W. Bruce Cameron

Sep 19, 11

bookshelves: for-kids, first-reads
Read from September 11 to 18, 2011

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Read. Therefore, there is no back of the book to inform me what I'm about to read. I have never heard of the author, not had I read his other book. I simply chose this book as I do all books, by the cover image :)

I blew through this book. Partly because it's not very long, but mostly because I loved it. It's a completely fictional work with a happy ending. I enjoyed it as an adult, but I can also see it being the kind of book you would read to younger ones as well. It's not childish, though. Not a Mr. Popper's Penguins type of story, even though the plot is as far fetched. It's not written in a made-for-children tone.

This book is about a bear and a boy, essentially. The boy, Charlie Hall, is struggling with tragedy at home and he meets a bear who changes his life. The tone of the book lines you up as Charlie's peer. In some ways, his only friend and confidant. Giving you play-by-play thought processes of an 8th grade boy. The author does a great job of spelling out boy thought. I giggled more than once at the way Charlie sees the world, and love, and life.

The way Cameron chose to end his story surprised me a lot. The whoooooole book, we are Charlie's friend. Being fed his inner most thoughts. And trusting him, when the world isn't. Then, the author decides to end the book with grown-up Charlie sort of dancing around the idea that maybe in some way, none of it was true. Sort of one last jerk to see if we really believe him :) I almost gasped. "Oh no you didn't!" ran through my thoughts.

I loved the book :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emory's Gift.

09/12/2011 page 30
9.0% "Just started reading my advanced copy that I won in the First Reads giveaway. I am already loving it just by the author's writing style. Although, I'm having flash-backs to Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. Already saw some typos too, am I supposed to send it back with red circles in it? Lol."
09/15/2011 page 30
9.0% ""I was sort of big on the idea of marriage... You married a girl and she was yours forever; there was even a law about it." Lol oh, the minds of little boys.."