Grace Fonseca's Reviews > Half-Blood

Publisher: Spencer-Hill Press
Pub Date: October 18, 2011
My Copy: Got at BEA

Book Synopsis:

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

Book Review:

Oh man. This book was wonderfully written. I loved the main character, Alexandra or Alex as she likes to be called. The action was non-stop in this book. I love how the book started.

It started off with Alex fighting off two daimons, which was very cool. Then some people that Alex knows show up and they help her out of the situation. What I really liked about this book, was that Alex is a very strong female heroine.

The world building in this book is very strong because you can believe that this world has it rules and it all makes sense. I mean that this world is based on mythology and Miss Armentrout takes the mythology and twists it in a very unique way,

Alex doesn't want to be a servant. I mean she is mourning the death of her mother and then finds out that her two male relatives have a very different plan for her. There are lots of twists and turns that I didn't expect. Especially regarding her mother. It's not what she thinks.

Like how she wants to be the one who defines her destiny and be a Sentinental. Yet her rebellious nature is one of the most appealing things about her. Love the fact that she made Aiden very likeable. Too bad Alex and Aiden can't be together because Aiden is a pure.
This will always be an issue. Also like the fact that Aiden is the one to take the high road.

Also love the fact that she creates a unique mythology within the mythology. Especially the myth of a certain character. When the character of Seth is introduced, he is a mystery and there is an interesting connection between Seth and Alex. He also helps Alex, discover a lot more about herself and what her role will be. It's much bigger than she thinks it will be.

Not to mention the training scenes are great between Aiden, then other characters. What I loved about this book, it has a great heroine, good solid male characters. A romantic triangle that isn't traditional. You can actually feel like rooting for both Seth and Aiden.

I simply adored this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.