Delaney's Reviews > Just Listen

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Feb 08, 16

bookshelves: favorites
Read in June, 2012

NOOOOO I'M DONE!!!! I'm killing myself for reading this fabulous book too fast!!! It's killing me!!!! x.x

"Don't think or judge. Just Listen."

Oh, I could dedicate this whole review just to Owen, but I won't. The music obsessed geek. I actually wrote down every song/singer/band listed in JUST LISTEN and listened to them like "Thank You" by Led Zeppelin or Jimmy Paige. The Jimmy Paige one actually gave me a bit of headache. I got tired even from just listening to it! Anyways, Owen helps Annabelle (our main character here) get over things. And each quote that I was copying down was from him. He's just that awesome! Even if his taste of music is a little odd. XP

And next time I go to a carwash, I need to try the carwash phenomenon.

"Silence is so freaking loud."

Annabelle, I could really relate to her because i'm the youngest but not of three daughters, still, the youngest. She keeps things in, and that's the hard part of things, it's so easy to keep things in and once you actually let it out, it just spills. I really felt for her, I wanted to be her friend when everything was turned against her. Her sisters: Kirsten and Whitney. Both superbly amazing. Both in depth and character. I truly just loved every single character, even Sophie! Koodos for that!

But the writing! After re-read after re-read, I didn't realize that the writing, the plot, EVERYTHING, was just so simple. It was just so simple and that simplicity is what made me fall in love with JUST LISTEN. What made me fall in love with Owen, Annabelle, Whitney, Kirsten, Clarke, Rolly. And--oh my!--there's a little cameo of my best buds in THIS LULLABY Dexter and Remy!!!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!! I was screaming that I got to meet them!!! It's the first re-read after reading THIS LULLABY. And I LOVED, LOVED, seeing them!!!

This book, it just holds a dear place in my heart. It really does, it's just amazing. THE BEST SARAH DESSEN BOOK IN MY MIND!!!!! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!!! And it makes me want to go get bacon!!!!
And so, now I'm going to mope because I won't get around to a really good book to just sit down and read like this one in a while. <33333333

"Well, you know, it's day to day."

6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Listen.

Quotes Delaney Liked

Sarah Dessen
“Don't think or judge, just listen.”

Sarah Dessen
“There comes a time in every life when the world gets quiet and the only thing left is your heart.”

Sarah Dessen
“It was like when you're a little kid and you run into your teacher or librarian at the grocery store or Wal-mart and it's just so startling, because it never occurred to you they existed outside of school.”

Sarah Dessen
“Because this is what happens when you try to run from the past. It just doesn’t catch up, it overtakes … blotting out the future.”

Sarah Dessen
“There comes a time when the world gets quiet and the only thing left is your own heart. So you'd better learn the sound of it. Otherwise you'll never understand what it's saying.”

Sarah Dessen
“So while it seemed like you were seeing everything, you really weren't. Just bits and pieces that looked like a whole.”

Sarah Dessen
“I understood now. This voice, the one that had been trying to get my attention all this time, calling out to me, begging me to hear it -- it wan't Will's. It was mine.”

Sarah Dessen
“So you're always honest," I said.
"Aren't you?"
"No," I told him. "I'm not."
"Well, that's good to know, I guess."
"I'm not saying I'm a liar," I told him. He raised his eyebrows. "That's not how I meant it, anyways."
"How'd you mean it, then?"
"I just...I don't always say what I feel."
"Why not?"
"Because the truth sometimes hurts," I said.
"Yeah," he said. "So do lies, though.”

Sarah Dessen
“Silence is so freaking loud”

Sarah Dessen
“Music is the great uniter. An incredible force. Something that people who differ on everything and anything else can have in common.”

Sarah Dessen
“This is the problem with dealing with someone who is actually a good listener. They don’t jump in on your sentences, saving you from actually finishing them, or talk over you, allowing what you do manage to get out to be lost or altered in transit. Instead, they wait, so you have to keep going.”

06/28 page 26
7.0% "Third time re-read!!!"
06/28 page 66
18.0% "Owen!!!!"
06/28 page 88
24.0% "The tension, the intensity, is awesome!!! Love it!"
06/28 page 88
24.0% "The tension, the intensity, is awesome!!! Love it!"
06/28 page 126
34.0% "I'm gonna hate myself for reading it so fast after i'm done."
06/28 page 161
43.0% "'Silence is so freaking loud.' Best quote and from Owen"
06/28 page 186
50.0% "Oh Owen, why are you so awesome?" 2 comments
06/28 page 213
57.0% "This is the best chapter!!!!! >.<"
06/29 page 237