Rebekkila's Reviews > Broken for You

Sep 21, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: bookcrossing
Read from September 11 to 18, 2011

I really liked the first part of the book. Margaret has been living alone in a castle outside Seattle, her expensive porcelain collection is her only friend. She doesn't interact much with with world until she finds out she has a brain tumor. She places an ad in the local patient for a roommate and a young woman named Wanda shows up.

The story then turns in to something like the Island of Misfit Toys. She takes in more and more boarders. People who are broken like her. Most of the characters are pretty likable except for Wanda who is a crazy stalker. The way they heal is by breaking the expensive porcelain in Margret's house and making mosaic art pieces and installations.

It turns out that the porcelain had been bought by her father from Nazi's in France who confiscated the expensive belongings of the Jewish people they had arrested and sent off to concentration camps.

I didn't necessarily like the fact that they were smashing someone Else's belongings. Even though they did find the owners of a few items they could have donated the items to a survivors group in France. I didn't like how they rallied around Wanda after she suffers a serious injury while in the act of stalking. I thought the story got really silly at the end and wrapped up too neatly.

I would have given this one star but I did like the first one hundred pages or so.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken for You.