Lynette's Reviews > In Bed with a Highlander

In Bed with a Highlander by Maya Banks

Sep 11, 2011

liked it
Read from September 11 to 12, 2011

Followers of my blog should know by now how I feel about Maya Banks writing, it is like crack. There is something about Ms. Banks style that makes me pick up her books and no matter what she writes, even when I find some of the material questionable. Her writing style is so engaging that I cannot help indulging myself.

I've also mentioned that I've been a die-hard romance fan since I was eleven years old and one of my favorite authors was Julie Garwood. Back in '91 when she started her Highlander series, I brought all the books and I still have them down in my basement in boxes because when we moved into our new house two years ago, the hubster promised to build me bookshelves. Two years later, no bookshelves.

I'm drifting. Anyhoo.

The Bride, The Secret, The Wedding, and my favorite Ransom were devoured by me and while it's been awhile since I read them, I still remember them fondly and they are my all-time favorites.

Right now you are probably wondering why I'm talking about Julie Garwood for a Maya Banks review. I have a point, I promise.

But first I would like to apologize for doubting another reviewer who had said Maya Banks KGI series was a little too similar to her favorite romantic suspense novel. When this reviewer cited the similarities I thought, yeah that was a little too close for comfort, but there are only so many plots and it could just be a coincidence.

Now that the same experience has happened to me with one of Ms. Banks novels, I understand this reviewer's point better.

As always with Ms. Banks novels, I enjoyed IN BED WITH A HIGHLANDER, I really did, but this story hit a little too close to home for my personal tastes.

No, I am not saying that it was an exact copy of Garwood's novels. It's not. Ms. Banks has such an unique writing voice that makes it hard for her to be other than herself, but the plot was a little too similar to Garwood's Highlander series. IN BED WITH A HIGHLANDER seemed like a mash up of Julie Garwood's Highlander series including plot and character personality traits.

In Ransom, the heroine is held captive in a castle with a young boy. The boy is there by mistake. The heroine protects and becomes fiercely protective of this young boy, even taking a severe beating by her captors in order to protect him. They manage to escape and meet up with the boy's godfather who returns them to the boy's home. The next morning the hero finds the heroine and the boy sleeping in the same chambers.

IN BED WITH THE HIGHLANDER the heroine is held captive with a young boy. The boy is there by mistake. The heroine protects and becomes fiercely protective of this young boy, even taking a severe beating by her captors in order to protect him. They manage to escape and meet up with the boy's uncle who returns them to the boy's home. The next morning the hero find the heroine and the boy sleeping in the same chambers.

It is not only that that gives me pause. The heroine Mairin seems to me like a mash up of the heroines in Ms. Garwood's Highlander novels. It's hard to cite specifics because it's been awhile since I read Garwood's novels. I apologize for not being to articulate my feelings in a better manner, but while reading IN BED WITH THE HIGHLANDER all I could think of is Julie Garwood. It's from the ways Mairin tries to integrate inside the clan, from the way she gains the respect of the soldiers and the women, from the way the hero and the heroine's relationship progresses.

Yet, despite my qualms, IN BED WITH A HIGHLANDER is an engaging story but because of the similiarities I just don't have the interest to keep reading the series, I'd rather re-read Julie Garwood. It didn't work for me. You may be different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Bed with a Highlander.

09/11/2011
6.0% "I feel like I triped and fell into Ransom by Julie Garwood." 4 comments
09/12/2011
27.0% "We have now moved to the point in Garwood's novel where the hero's senior men began to fall for the heroine. No wait this isn't Garwood, but it sure feels like it!"
09/12/2011
28.0% "You cannot tell me that this is a coincidence and Ms. Banks never read Garwood's Highlander series."
09/12/2011
82.0% "The plot while unoriginal seems to coming to its own now or resembles books I haven't read before."

Patti TheLoveJunkee Agree, while I enjoyed the book, I couldn't help noticing the similarities with Ms.Garwood's Highlanders.

Lynette Yes, everyone says it's a homage to Julie Garwood. It didn't feel that way to me. It bothered me.