Jonathan's Reviews > Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen: How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living

Julie and Julia by Julie Powell

Apr 22, 08

bookshelves: food, time-i-wish-i-had-back
Read in April, 2008

I read The Scavengers Guide to Haute Cuisine, and I really liked it. I figured this book would be along the same lines. Yeah, well, it wasn't. Instead of a book about cooking, it was a book about a whiny, pseudo-intellectual woman who tries to cook because her life is otherwise crappy. Please tell me how cooking an entire Julia Child cookbook will improve your life. Actually, don't, because that is the premise for this book and it sucked.

Oh, and reading about her husband was cringe-worthy. This wimp drinks vodka tonics, gets shaving tips from gq, and has regular, uncontrollable vomiting episodes. Hey guy, maybe when your balls finally descend from your body cavity you can write a book about that. Then both you and your wife can have lame books published.

For the sake of fair reviewing, I only made it through just over half of this before I became too repulsed to read on. So maybe it turns out awesome. Maybe she gets all the recipes cooked. Maybe her husband and her friends actually become interesting. I guess I'll never find out, because I know I'd derive ten times more entertainment from smelling my fingers than I would by finishing this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julie and Julia.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sibyl
Sure sure, these people are lame and the book generally sucks. But most of these books reflecting personal journals do. Most people would seem a bit lame, especially when their day to day is printed as if its worth your time to read. I blame Anne Frank. Her journal was significant. Girls everywhere wish theirs will be too.

I read this while on a diet, so I particularly enjoyed reading about the food she made. I lived vicariously through her bad diet. I gave it more stars. I will remove one, however, because I'd forgotten about the lame husband.

The book itself never developed much of a plot though, so don't worry, you didn't miss a thing.

message 2: by David (new)

David I just like when Jonathan talks about smelling his fingers. Reminds me of the old days.

message 3: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Funny review, Jonathan. It made me laugh, but has not dissuaded me from reading the book. If I make it through it, I'll come back to your review and let you know if I agree with you.

Jonathan For the author's sake, I sure hope you find more to like about it than I did!

message 5: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Thank you for making me laugh out loud!

message 6: by Patrick (new)

Patrick I loved your review of this book. I saw the movie and it made me want to read the original Julia Child book, but not read this other one.

Jennifer You didn't miss a thing by stopping half way through. I wish I had put it down, but instead I plodded along waiting for Julie to have a revelation about what a whining, miserable bitch she is, but it never came.

Funny review, and great observations about Julie's husband.

Rachel this book was eminently fun and enjoyable to read. i recommend it to any human being who enjoys reading and cooking.

Jonathan Rachel wrote: "this book was eminently fun and enjoyable to read. i recommend it to any human being who enjoys reading and cooking."

That's odd. I enjoy reading and cooking, yet I found this book abysmal. I guess the only logical conclusion is that I am not a human being. Damn, I've been working under the wrong assumption for decades!

message 10: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Starr When you pick up a book "hoping it will be like" another book, you are bound to be disappointed. Every time. Next time try evaluating a book on its own merits, rather than hope for a "sequel" from a different author starting from a different premise.

Jonathan I tried evaluating it for its own merits. There weren't any.

Rick wrote: "When you pick up a book "hoping it will be like" another book, you are bound to be disappointed. Every time. Next time try evaluating a book on its own merits, rather than hope for a "sequel" from ..."