Clare's Reviews > The Beach House

F_50x66
Sep 11, 11

bookshelves: will-read-again
Read from August 20 to 25, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I loved this book! For a start I loved the fact that it was set in Queensland (Australia) as there are so few books set there and I also loved the fact that parts of it were set in the 1990s. It is a bit of a different kind of novel in that there are five stories within the book each featuring a different character. But they are all set at the same place "The Beaach House" in the small town of Sunset Point. Each of these stories could have almost been a novel in themselves, but they are more like a novella. And the stories do all connect at the beginning and end, but I won't give that away here.
Each character ends up at The Beach House for a different reason, and during their stay there they have an experience that changes them in some way. Some of the stories have some sadness in them, but overall the feeling of the book is an uplifting one as you get to know each character and empathise with them (as well as laugh).
I found the simple writing style really refreshing, but it was also descriptive enough to convey the town and the house and the beach of course. I also liked the fact that it was an Australian book not trying to be anything other than that. I loved the references to different places (ie Brisbane) and the songs, movies etc from the 1990s.
Overall it was a great read and The Beach House is a book I will definitely keep and read again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beach House.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Helen McKenna Thank you so much for your great review Clare. When you write a book it is always your hope that it will strike a chord with your readers - so it is heartening to know that you enjoyed it so much. Nice to hear from a fellow Queenslander :-) Thanks Again!