Lori Whitwam's Reviews > The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl

The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl by Shauna Reid

May 11, 08

bookshelves: memoir
Read in May, 2008

I borrowed this, and held off starting it. I didn't think I was going to like it, frankly. Though I am formerly morbidly obese, I never had the strength (courage? will-power?) to lose my weight the "old-fashioned" way - diet and exercise. But I feel such a sistership with people who are or have been obese. The stories of their humiliation and struggles and self-loathing and agony touch me so much. Only a couple of dozen pages into this book so far, and I've had numerous sobs catch in my throat, and my eyes are often teary. And I know as Shauna begins to mark her victories and milestones I will still have those sobs and tears, but in an entirely different way... because I experienced them after my gastric bypass and know the joy they bring. In my heart, deep inside, I will always be a fat girl.

Finished the book this morning. While my attention did drift a bit during her "plateau or slightly re-gaining" periods, I enjoyed reading about her time in Scotland and her strange compulsion to keep her weight loss saga from her new boyfriend.

Anyone who has ever struggled with their weight (or is still struggling) will find large bits of themselves in this book. I certainly did.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl.