Dulcinea's Reviews > The Traitor in the Tunnel

The Traitor in the Tunnel by Y.S. Lee

Sep 20, 11

Recommended for: EVERYONE!!!
I own a copy, read count: 2

You should have seen my face when this book came in the mail, it was probably Facebook worthy!!
When I first started reading the book I was starting to feel a little let down, so I put it down and thought, what was missing? It was only then that I realized that my anticipation for this book had been building up for over a year, so I had envisioned some almighty holy grail-esque shining novel in which I would hear a choir singing whenever I turned a page. And that I shouldn't start the book thinking like that. Motivated by this thought, I picked it up again with a different mindset, non-expectant, I want Ying to surprise me like she always does. Then, with each page I started to realize...this book is amazing!!! The reason I mention this is that anybody who is preparing to read the book or has read it and was less than overjoyed, I am warning you, don't open the book expecting everything to happen at once...let the story come to you. you will not be disappointed I assure you.
The depth of emotion coming off of Mary is breath-taking, every character literally lifts off the page as though real. The mystery has so many details and connections to the characters, that the plot is on a whole other level then the other books. The relationship between James and Mary is so real and smoldering, and there is just the right amount of it. Not too little to make the whole thing pointless, not too much to turn it into a romance novel. I love how each character is imperfect, they are so human, everybody having their own strengths and weaknesses, and the author wasn't afraid of making some of her characters ugly, ignorant, or just unlikable. This story really is amazing I often go back to it to read passages of it again. I will certainly be reading this series again in the near future ( I own all of them) and I am impatiently awaiting the next edition in this completely singular and original series.

Out of 5 stars I give 5,000,000,000 :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Traitor in the Tunnel.

Quotes Dulcinea Liked

Y.S. Lee
“Stop shining your lantern in my face."
"It's such a lovely face.”
Y.S. Lee, The Traitor in the Tunnel

Y.S. Lee
“He smiled. "I suppose I thought we'd have a madly impractical, terrifyingly modern sort of marriage. One based on love. Not to mention dangerous undertakings and hair's-breadth escapes from burning buildings, high ledges and exploding sewers."

"And bickering."

"Always that, yes."

"Assuming I want to marry at all."

"True. I know of no good way of forcing you to do anything."

"And you're mad enough to think it could work - one day?"

He cupped her face in his hands. His smile was so brilliant it seemed to illuminate the room. "I think it would be heaven."

She trembled, then. "You have a very strange idea of heaven."

"Kiss me and see.”