Kendra's Reviews > The Queen's Fool

The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory

Sep 11, 11

Read in August, 2004

Gregory has become one of my favorite authors and I look forward to finding her other books. The Queen’s Fool is set in the mid-1500’s and spans the reign of a young king and eventually an older queen. The narrator of the story is a young girl, Hannah, who has spent her life running to protect herself. She is a Jew living in a non-tolerant world, surrounded by death and destruction. But, in the middle of it all, she manages to find love and a few friends, namely Queen Mary, Lord Robert Dudley, and in a roundabout way, Princess Elisabeth. Hannah becomes the Queen’s Royal Fool and manages to exist within the turmoil of court life. This is a wonderfully exciting story and the characters are richly developed. It was very easy to swept up and away by it all.

Spoiler Note: I was VERY happy that Hannah made her way back to Daniel…even though that part of the story has a fairy-tale ending, I was relieved. I had been so mad at her for turning away from him in the first place even though I could understand why she was so upset.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Fool.