Scott Rhee's Reviews > Waiting for SUPERMAN: A Participant Media Guide

Waiting for SUPERMAN by Karl Weber

Feb 02, 12

bookshelves: education, movie-tie-in, nonfiction
Read from November 13, 2011 to February 02, 2012

I'm having a hard time with this one. Maybe it's because I didn't see the movie yet. I plan to, although everything I have heard about the film is making me already not like it. Reading this book isn't helping either. Rumor has it that the film is very pro-charter schools and very anti-union. I happen to be kind of pro-teacher's union and my experience with charter schools isn't wonderful. Statistically, too, charter schools have demonstrated little to no difference in terms of improving education. Yes, a small percent do actually perform extremely well. But just as many are actually major failures, and the rest are no better or worse than regular public schools. The "Waiting for Superman" book is just a lot of feel-good essays that don't offer a whole hell of a lot in terms of substance. Yes, we know that public schools are a mess. So, anyone have any bright ideas? Because this book sure doesn't have any. Skip this book and read Diane Ravitch's brilliant "The Death and Life of the American School System". Ravitch isn't very specific, but she at least does attempt to provide some potential solutions.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for SUPERMAN.