Trixie Fontaine's Reviews > Parable of the Sower

Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler

Apr 22, 2008

bookshelves: favorites
Read in May, 2008

Purely by coincidence, I started reading this the day after we watched "I am Legend" so I was already in the survivalist/savior of the human race groove of things. Aside from being a gripping read with a great pace, it thrilled me to read such a story told by a strong, smart, young woman's voice. Her predicament felt real -- IS a real possibility -- and shows how easily civilization can break down without far-fetched zombie characters. Entertaining (not in a fun cops & robbers car-chase way, but still), inspiring, accessible, and rationally thought-out. It's rare to find a voice that embraces religion and the need for a spirit-life *without* calling on an omnipotent man in the sky or pop paganism.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parable of the Sower.

Cheshire This is one of my absolute favorites. If you like this one, you should definitely check out 'Lilith's Brood' by the same author. She had such a fantastic voice.

Trixie Fontaine Cool -- I will definitely pick that up. I have Kindred here on my shelf to start next.