Jillian Roth's Reviews > Burned

Burned by Ellen Hopkins

F 50x66
Sep 11, 2011

Read in September, 2011

Burned by Ellen Hopkins is a novel in free verse. I picked it up thinking it was a collection of poems, and was surprised to find a story. The story was unique and pulled me in almost immediately. The protagonist, seventeen-year-old Pattyn is a Mormon teen trying to figure out her place in the world. She does not agree with her church, and detests her family, but it is all she knows. What will she become if not somebody’s wife? Her future is set. She will become a baby-making machine and obey her husband.

Everything changes when Pattyn begins rebelling and her father sends her away for the summer. Pattyn moves in with liberal Aunt J., and falls in love with the freedom of Aunt J.’s ranch, horseback riding, and the boy next door, Ethan. Ethan and Pattyn spend the summer enjoying each other as Pattyn continues to struggle with her religion. Upon arriving home in the fall, Pattyn is forced to make a difficult decision about her future. The novel leaves the reader on a surprising cliff, that left me reeling. I had rooted for Pattyn throughout the book, and at the end was faced with a moral dilemma. I am looking forward to reading another of Hopkin’s books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burned.

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne Crotty Jillian, Your description of this book has sparked my interest. Especially the moral dilemma. I am often frustrated by books like this but I enjoy they way books can ignite conversation. I really enjoy taking part in a spirited debate about novels in my book club and in my classroom. In the classroom these debates add another dimension to the students and teachers in the class. They help everyone gain a new perspective.
Thanks for the review

A

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jillian, your review was very well written. I thought it described this story nicely and persuaded me to read it. I enjoy reading about the different cultures we have in our own country. This would be a great tool to use while studying diversity in our country and different moral and religious backgrounds. In our area the Mormon culture is not dominant so it's always great to open student eyes to whats beyond their bubble. Thanks!