Sara's Reviews > Sex with Kings: 500 Years of Adultery, Power, Rivalry, and Revenge

Sex with Kings by Eleanor Herman

Sep 11, 2011

liked it
Read in September, 2011

I have to agree with quite a few of the other reviews of this book. The topic of the book was extremely fascinating and I enjoyed the book for its fluffiness, but I have so many qualms with this book.

First, the organization of the book was terrible. It was hard to follow along with so many royal Charles', Louis', Henry(i)'s and etc. or the mistresses and queen Louises', Marie/Marys' or Lady this or that. This is coming from an avid history lover too. I understand the reason the book was divided into the categories it was, but Herman wasn't the author for it.

Second, the writing is fluffy. The lengths Herman goes to in her descriptions are a little silly. It is a book, you read for pleasure, not to be taken seriously. It sounds like paperback romance novel at times.

Last, I would double check ALL historical claims in it before I stored it into my brain as fun fact or repeated it to others. So much in the book that is presented as fact is actually up for historical debate or is believed to be highly unlikely.

With all that being said, I did give the book three stars. As I said the topic at hand is very fascinating, but also the book is a fun and easy read. All the over-the-top adjectives and adverbs make it an appealing historical nonfiction. I enjoyed it enough that I ordered a copy of "Sex with the Queen" and am almost finished with it now. Although, I expect it will get a very similar review from me as "sex with Kings."

If you are looking for a little easy and fun reading on this topic, I recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex with Kings.

Princess Pepperdoodle THIS!
Fluffy and romance novel-esque!