Sarah's Reviews > The Mysterious Howling

The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood

Sep 19, 11

bookshelves: childrens-fiction, british, audio-version, humorous, historical, series
Read in September, 2011

I listened to the superbly narrated audio version of this book, a title I've been meaning to pick up for some time. Reader Katherine Kellgren nails her delivery, with a host of voices and inflections. I can't shake the simple line of Cassiopeia's "Mayhem!" from my head because it had me laughing so hard in the car and it still tickles me a week just thinking about it a week later.

Wood's book is droll and delightful. She breaks down the fourth wall, addressing the listener (or reader) with full awareness of the bookishness of the whole premise. It's a completely absurd plot, of course, but that's what makes it so fun. Some of her characters are dreadful stereotypes, but even they are so ridiculously exaggerated that I found them to be entertaining, too. I can't wait to read more about the misadventures of the Incorrigibles (hahaha) and Miss Penelope.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysterious Howling.