Carolyn's Reviews > The Patchwork Quilt

The Patchwork Quilt by Valerie Flournoy

Sep 11, 11

bookshelves: domesticity, fiction, multiculti, realistic, wide-reading-for-ci-546, crafts, picture-book
Read on September 11, 2011, read count: 2

wide reading for CI546

grade level: elementary school

genre: picture book / realistic fiction

themes: Family, ancestry, quilting

cultures: African-American

awards: Coretta Scott King award

school use: I might use this book for very young kids learning about families and generations.

review: Such a sweet book. One of the things I liked most about it is that it's just a normal book about a normal family, but when thinking about buying books that are appropriate for a multicultural classroom, it's a book your african-american students can SEE themselves in (without having to also deal with themes of racism, discrimination, misrepresentation...as is so often the case in books that contain diverse characters).

Since my grandmas, great aunts, mother, and now myself!, are all quilters, I really loved how this is a story about a family which is told by telling a story about a family quilt. All the little crafting touches range very true -- Tanya seeing how little squares of every person's clothing, memories, life are woven into the overall fabric of what makes a family, what people treasure, what things we keep closer to our hearts.

Little girls whose moms (or grandmas or aunts or whoevers) sew will really love this book and for those who don't -- this would be a great book to read to get them excited about learning to quilt if you wanted to start an afterschool quilting group with your students!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Patchwork Quilt.