Rebecca's Reviews > Of Poseidon

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Nov 09, 12

bookshelves: better-than-i-expected, love-the-cover, wishlist-ya-book-exchange, to-buy
Read from July 15 to 18, 2012

So I was really, really excited when I realized, towards the middle of this book, that I was really into the story. Because I've been attempting to read mermaid books since the beginning of this year, since they seem to be the next big thing, but I haven't really liked any of them. The closest I've come is Lost Voices by Sarah Porter, and that was just okay to me. But I actually enjoyed Of Poseidon (took me forever to correctly spell that, by the way).

I really liked being in Emma's head. I appreciated the bits of humor that made me laugh throughout the story. I thought she was a pretty good heroine, even though I still don't completely understand how the heck she can talk under water to fishes without, like, gills or something. I mean, when you talk, you exhale all your air, so you'd have to inhale again to being another sentence or whatever. Doesn't really make sense. But I was willing to let that go, as I sometimes do when I'm too interested in the story to really care about technical details like that.

I sort of went on and off with Galen, honestly. There were times I really liked his character and times when he irked me. Like when Emma and his sister, Rayna, get into a fight when she's over at his house for dinner, Galen (and Toraf, for that matter), just let it happen without trying to break it up. Seems like he should have been more concerned for them, especially since they broke through a glass door that was apparently pretty thick. And there's a time in the book where he wonders why he couldn't have found himself a docile, obediant female to mate with. My sexism red flag went up more than once when I was reading his chapters. But I guess I have to take into account that this is a whole other culture, and they do things differently. But it's kind of hard to accept knowing that some people - like Rayna - get married, apparently, without their consent.

I didn't really anticipate the big reveal at the end of the book, and it made me really excited for the next one. So, I guess I did have some complaints, but the pros outweigh the cons, and this book made me laugh and made me interested in something I never have been before. So, I have to give it props for being the only mermaid book I've finished eagerly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Poseidon.

Quotes Rebecca Liked

Anna Banks
“It's easy to remember, because dating rhymes with mating, and they're almost the same [...] So your mom thinks we're ma-- Uh, dating?”
Anna Banks, Of Poseidon

07/16/2012 page 23
7.0% "Sharks scare me. O_O"
07/17/2012 page 182