Vanessa's Reviews > Dead End

Dead End by Jason Myers

Oct 05, 11

Read in August, 2011

I don't think it's fair to judge this book by saying it's too racy for young adult or that it's too misleading, the tone and language is set from the very first pages. Anyone who picks this book off the shelf will know what they are getting themselves into as far as that goes.

I also respect the author for tell a different type of story, his type of story. There needs to be books that are considered "out there" to satisfy certain ignored readers. I also enjoyed the multiple perspectives, and sequences of how events unfolded. It's similar to watching a movie payout and gives the reader a broader scope of what is going on in the story as a whole.

My problem lied with the characters. Besides the Sheriff I really didn't care about them. I feel that through dividing up so many perspectives, character development was sacrificed. I understood generally who they were but I wasn't rooting for them, like I should have been in a story like this. I was merely waiting to see what would happen , like an impartial viewer watching the news on a murder case. I simply felt no connection to the story.

This isn't a story for everyone, but if you can get though the first few pages without feeling uncomfortable, there is something to be learned about stories and story telling here. That or if you're just looking for something completely different from typical YA.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead End.