Allison's Reviews > Him Her Him Again the End of Him

Him Her Him Again the End of Him by Patricia Marx

Sep 13, 11

bookshelves: fiction, 2011
Read from September 10 to 12, 2011

Patricia Marx is a funny lady. This book is also quite funny. It’s about a woman in love with a terrible guy. She refuses to let him go, until she finally does. I liked the humorous approach to this tragic, yet common predicament. There are plenty of dryly funny passages that follow the protagonist through various, love-fueled humiliations.

Though Him Her Him Again The End of Him is a thin book, it is a deceptively quick read. If you’re not paying attention you can miss some of Marx’s best bits of sly humor. Soak it up, and be glad that you’re not in love with someone as awful as Eugene Obello. At least, I hope you’re not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Him Her Him Again the End of Him.

Quotes Allison Liked

Patricia Marx
“If only, I thought, I could talk to Eugene just one more time. This was before I came to understand that you cannot make someone fall in love with you But here's what you can do. By arguing and pleading and screaming and crying and throwing plates and phoning a lot and bringing hot food and sending flowers and buying gifts and doing unsolicited favors and remembering a birthday and being nice and declaring your abiding love and trying hard or sometimes merely by being present, you can make someone who was hitherto lukewarm really detest you.”

Patricia Marx
“But that's typical of me. "This is going to end in tears," I tell myself every time I balance a cup of coffee on the upholstered arm of the chair I'm sitting on. And then, lo and behold, the cup topples and even before it lands, I tell myself, "Told me so!" Not to spell out, or spill out, one of the metaphors of my life, but I always do the stupid thing and then I do it again. I never learn.”
tags: humor

Patricia Marx
“It's always gratifying to share a hobby with a friend, and pining for erstwhile suitors falls into that category. In the months to come, Libby and I would analyze our respective exes with the gusto and intellectual rigor of Jesuits.”