Bruce's Reviews > All-Star Superman, Vol. 1

All-Star Superman, Vol. 1 by Grant Morrison

Sep 10, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels, sf-fantasy
Read in September, 2011

I am going to unashamedly copy whole the review by a well known author in his own right and a good friend of mine (author: andrew mayer)

Morrison is a great comic book writer, but he has a few obvious flaws that can make his work difficult to digest, and have always kept him from reaching the same heights as Alan Moore.

All-Star Superman, while using the same deconstructed narrative and mind-blowingly bizarre gift of invention that are his trademarks, manages to overcome those limitations and essentially create the platonic ideal of what a Superman story should be.

In twelve issues this series manages to truly show how an epic story can be told about a man who cannot be hurt by normal means. It throws us into a universe that is already deep and rich, and where this hero has been that planet's protector for many years. It unflinchingly goes from silly to hardcore sci-fi, all with a strong emotional undercurrent that drives everything forward.

It's not perfect, and I still found myself wondering what the hell he was talking about from time to time, but the whole is far greater than the sum of its parts. And with his background in the occult and kabbalistic magick, Morrison manages to take Superman beyond just being a simple Christ figure.

I read someone describe this as is the "only Superman story you'll ever need" and they're probably right.

Note that you'll need to read both volumes to get the full story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All-Star Superman, Vol. 1.