Analisa's Reviews > Seer of Sevenwaters

Seer of Sevenwaters by Juliet Marillier

6262097
Sep 10, 11

bookshelves: library-book
Recommended for: Readers who enjoy a well-crafted fantasy with a strong female lead.
Read from June 24 to August 03, 2011, read count: 1

I didn't realize when I first picked up this book that it was part of a series. Nevertheless, I did not find it difficult to pick up on the characters and the thread of the storyline. It is likely that if I had read the books in order, I may have had a little bit more insight into the characters and their background (especially Sibeal's intense devotion to her druidic calling), but I enjoyed this book immensely even without that background.

It is a beautifully-written, lyrical fantasy book that follows a young woman, Sibeal, as she spends the last summer before taking her vows as a druid on the island of Inis Eala. She is there to spend time with her family and contemplate the life she would be leaving behind to pursue her calling as a druid (namely, the domestic/family life). She finds this delay to be somewhat unnecessary until she rescues a man that has washed ashore from a shipwreck. He is barely alive, and Sibeal assists in trying to nurse him back to health. From the point of the rescue, both of their stories become intertwined, illustrating a growing emotional bond between them that tests Sibeal's as-yet-unshaken commitment to her druidic calling.

Full of complex and interesting characters, as well as mystery and adventure, Seer of Sevenwaters is a fantastic read. I am usually uninterested in reading books from a series, but after reading this one, I am placing the rest of the books from this series on my To-Read list.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seer of Sevenwaters.