Justyn Rampa's Reviews > Animal Man, Vol. 1

Animal Man, Vol. 1 by Grant Morrison

Sep 27, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels, mavericks
Read from September 25 to 27, 2011

This volume collects the first 9 issues of Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man which has been heralded as something truly wonderful.

I don't completely agree, but I can see where they are coming from.

Originally published in 1988 1989, these issues I think began to introduce the world to the madness of Grant Morrison as well as the animal activism of Grant Morrison.

As for the animal activism, I feel like Grant Morrison did that best with We3. As for his madness, I think Grant Morrison has aged well, growing into his madness like a true genius. Admittedly, he alerts the reader of this particular volume that some of the story lines will not make sense due to the lack of context for larger comic book arcs going on at that time. It's true. The series itself, was engaging enough to keep me reading but also because I made a promise to my comic book guy.

The true gem of the volume and indeed one of the most adored issues of all time is "The Coyote Gospel". Grant Morrison addresses it in the intro, my comic book guy said it is one of his favorite stories of all time. I can see the challenge and the appeal it presents.

Basically, it examines Christianity through the lens of Wile E. Coyote, if he were real.

I think that is all I will say.

It requires a re-read because I can't really formulate my thoughts although my initial impression is that it is brilliant!

Brilliant enough to own...that's a different matter entirely.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal Man, Vol. 1.

09/25/2011
10.0% "Animal Man was recently rebooted as part of the New 52 and received rave reviews though not as rave as reviews for Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man. While at my favorite comic store, Mavericks, the owner had volume 1 and heavily recommended it. I began. Issue 1 is well written enough with a fun hint at the man Grant Morrison would become. A fine introduction to a very human man who would be come a super hero."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

sixthreezy The Coyote Gospel was pretty great, I will agree. I actually agree with you on this volume. I just finished the second volume, and I liked that one a little more than this one. It also has a very significant animal activism issue about dolphins, and I found it odd that Morrison had touched on an issue that was chronicled in a documentary in 2009 called The Cove. Ahead of his time?????