Dawn's Reviews > The September Society

The September Society by Charles Finch

Sep 25, 11

bookshelves: british, mystery, historical-fiction
Read from September 10 to 25, 2011

I have been trying to pinpoint why it is that I don't like this series as much as I would like to like this series... I think its major flaw is that the main character, gentleman detective Lenox, doesn't have any flaws. Unlike Sherlock Holmes or Inspector Lynley of the Elizabeth George series, Lenox is too much of a goodie-goodie. He likes his tea, he likes his books, he likes his armchair by the fireplace in his parlor and he likes his goodie-goodie neighbor, Lady Jane. Bleh. The "romance" between them is totally uninteresting and I really don't get a feel for Charles's intense feelings of love and admiration for Jane.

This particular book suffers from a lot of historical info that is presented in a way that makes it read like a description from a text book. The author went to Oxford, and this is set there, and the author's obvious love for his alma mater is apparent, but not in a way that is particularly interesting.

I wanted to punch "Toto" in the face, the wife of Lenox's doctor/partner Mcconnell. She's pregnant and all of her appearances in the book have to do with trying to come up with a name for the baby. I was disappointed in the lack of character development with both Mcconnell and Charle's butler. And why are all of the women goodie-goodies?

The only ray of hope is Dallington, another privileged gentleman who's a bit of a cad. He's hoping to become Lenox's apprentice and he might be worth continuing with the series.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The September Society.