CMT325's Reviews > Blessed Are the Cheesemakers

Blessed Are the Cheesemakers by Sarah-Kate Lynch

May 02, 08

Read in May, 2008

Cheese lovers, unite! I eat cheese everyday, so the title drew me in. One thing I found charming was how, in the beginning, the cheese was personified as an angry female who was offended at being left in the fridge to rot. This is just one of the odd/fun ways of writing in Lynch's novel. Another neat thing were the "quotes" on the art of cheesemaking. For example, I never thought about how good cheese needs to come from good grass(the cow's food) ... and even the rain, sun, and time effect the cheese. This just made cheese seem like ... poetry.

Abbey is the granddaughter of a man who is half of a pair of the world's greatest cheesemakers. When she leaves her husband for his wrongdoings, she decides to find her long-lost grandfather and find out the truth of her past, since she can no longer trust anyone else.

Meanwhile, a man named Kit is watching his life crumble around him as he struggles to get over the loss of his wife and their unborn baby. He too ends up turning up at the cheesefactory for salvation.

Corrie and Fee need to find the perfect cheesemakers to take over before it's too late. Their factory is a unique place, where a cat named Jesus doesn't want to be a mother, and vegetarian pregnant milkmaids milk cows to "The Sound of Music."

At first, I found the book predictable, but sweet. I was also a bit impatient, because by page 150, neither Kit nor Abbey had made it to the factory. After that, everything went quickly. However, the book had several big surprises in store, and that made up for it.

I think I'll go have some cheese.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blessed Are the Cheesemakers.