Anthony Chavez's Reviews > The Alcoholic

The Alcoholic by Jonathan Ames

Oct 12, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novel-manga
Read on October 12, 2011

This was an easy read, great story by Jonathan Ames, really touching, and very awesome art by Dean Haspiel.

A true to life almost memoir by Ames, my first read of his. I have been a long time supporter of his show Bored to Death, he always entertains me in his noir sort of way. He does, in his own way, remind me of Woody Allen. He writes humor but there is a great tragic aspect to his characters and the way Ames writes that character is sublime and unique, it truly makes him an artist.

The story itself is one of a very personal nature. One that you can't help but feel is a window into the past of Jonathan Ames. In "Bored to Death" the main character is named Jonathan Ames and in "The Alcoholic" he is named Jonathan A. Draw your own conclusions.

Any addict of any sort will find this graphic novel hitting close to home and too real for comfort. The constant ups and downs of life, struggling with interesting subplots concerning family, friendship, homosexuality, virility, and death.

Endings that aren't quite an ending are sometimes the best ending to me because they leave you thinking, wait did he? Is he going to? Did this mean that? or did it mean this? After a wild 136 pages of everything under the sun, from binging, to confession, from detox, to counseling. I'm not sure if Jonathan A. or Ames knew what was going on, so we the reader are left to wonder where he will go from here, is his glass half empty, half full, is it going to be completely full or is it going to stay empty? The choice is yours.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alcoholic.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by mark (new)

mark monday Ted Danson in Bored to Death is awesome.

Anthony Chavez So true, Schwartzman, Danson, and Galifianakis are so great together, never would have thought that combination of actors would work but it really does.