Caitlin's Reviews > The Lies of Locke Lamora

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

2209914
Sep 10, 2011

bookshelves: 2011

The Lies of Locke Lamora was published in 2006 and I'm not sure how I missed it, but I am really glad that I'm reading it now.  For those of you who love your epic fantasy filtered through a B-movie eye, this is the series for you.

The Lies of Locke Lamora manages to take an Ocean's Eleven-type caper movie and transport it into an alternate universe that might or not be Venice in what might or might not be the Renaissance.  The setting is rich with detail as Lynch builds out this bit of alternate history on the wreckage of an older civilization of glass towers and magical lights.

Epic fantasy can be difficult, if only because at some point the whole magic trumping all as our callow prince gallops off to rescue the princess and the world gets kind of boring sometimes.  I much prefer the rogues of classic story - the light-fingered and lethal, quick to steal your wallet or your purse and anything else you have on offer.  The last time I played a formalized game of Dungeons & Dragons I played online with friends.  The characters of myself and another player (both of us thieves) got booted out of our party for our various wrongdoings (who knew they'd object to us running for cover with the treasure at every opportunity).  We were good sorts, of course, just out for ourselves.

Scott Lynch has written a great epic fantasy with smart characters, intelligent plotting, and lots of twists and turns.  Dubious heroes appear and are vanquished or rescued by their villainous counterparts, all playing across a gorgeous tapestry of story.  Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lies of Locke Lamora.