Amy Fournier's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Sep 10, 2011

bookshelves: tbr-pile-reading-challenge
Read from January 10 to 17, 2012

Going into this book, I was expecting great things. I have heard so many awesome reviews on this book, that I knew I had to read it. The story is creative and original, and the writing style is fantastic. There are angels, and monsters, and some really awesome settings. The fantasy aspect of this story is wonderful. Laini Taylor is very descriptive, so you have an easy time imagining what you are reading. I was very drawn into the story. I enjoyed the different perspectives. It made me feel a little closer to the characters. There was a mix of different characters and personalities that I really enjoyed. It moved a little slow for me, but was still a fantastic read.

Karou is the main character in the story, and while I liked her enough, I preferred some of the secondary characters over her. I didn't feel like we got to know her as well as we should have, although there are reasons for that too. I really wanted to have a stronger character connection with her. She is tough, smart, and determined, but I felt she was a little annoying at times too. She is not perfect and popular, or the outcast, or the typical main character of a storyline. She is unique. She has blue hair, she is amazing at drawing, and she lives by herself in a flat in Prague, and she can speak a ton of different languages. There is more to her than that though. She has no clue who she really is. She is surrounded by secrets.

I really enjoyed a lot of the other characters. First off there's Akiva. We get a lot of the story from his perspective. At first I was a bit confused, but as the story progressed I understood what was happening. He is very much a mystery when we first meet him, but we get to know him quite well by the end of the book. Another character I really loved, she was probably my favorite, is Zuzana. She is so hilariously funny. The things that came out of her mouth had me literally laughing out loud. She is full of spunk and personality, and doesn't hold anything back. Brimstone is another one I liked. At first I didn't because we don't really know him at all. As I read more and more, I really had a new respect for him, and truly liked him.

This book is very heavy with fantasy, so it is one that you really have to pay attention to. It took me longer to read this book than it typically takes me to read because I was really trying to absorb the details. At times I was confused and thought things were a bit over explained, but in the long run, I am glad that they were. I really felt like I was getting to know the areas, and the characters. This book had me tense with emotions at times, literally holding my breath. I loved being swept up into this fantasy world, and I am looking forward to what comes next. 4.5 out of 5 stars.
1 like · flag

01/10 "I have been waiting too long to read this. Decided it's finally time."
01/10
20.0% "Love it so far! Why did I wait so long to read this?"
01/16