Emily's Reviews > Sliver of Truth

Sliver of Truth by Lisa Unger

Sep 10, 11

Read in September, 2011

eThe most striking thing about this is the very conversational style of writing. It is as if the main character and first person narrator is sitting with you in your living room and telling you all about what happened to her. This can be very engaging, but can also be a little bit jarring, particularly when her asides take you out of the story and her endless analysis of her choices in a specific moment. Foreshadowing is also a little heavy-handed as well as frequent. ("If I had known what was going to happen, I might not have done what I did next.")
That being said, everything else about this book was just fabulous. The plot twists, secrets and revlations were riveting, and heart-pounding. The main theme of whether (and how much) who a person is is influenced by who her parents are was quite philosophical and pulled the book together, lifted it slightly above your average mystery/thriller.
As this is the sequel to "Beautiful Lies" in which Ridley finds out that her parents are not her parents and that she is actually the biological child of her "Uncle" Max and a woman who was murdered when Ridley was little, as well as the fact that Max was an associate of organized crime, I would really recommend one read that first. I hadn't read it in a while, and my memory was refreshed quite expertly, without a lot of boring exposition, but I don't know that one would be able to follow along well if they hadn't read it at all.
Go get the pair of them and read them now. Thanks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sliver of Truth.