Jennifer's Reviews > The Girl Who Was on Fire: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy

The Girl Who Was on Fire by Leah Wilson

Sep 12, 11

bookshelves: 2011, nonfiction
Read from September 10 to 11, 2011

Anyone who considers themselves a fan of The Hunger Games needs to read this.

Whether it's an exploration of the political undertones, the psychological power plays, the concept of building community, etc.-- these thirteen essays dive deep into the heart of what makes this series tick so loudly that it has resonated so soundly with us. Most of these essays are provacative and well-written; for me, the three most fascinating essays are:

-- Panem et Circenses; Carrie Ryan addresses how the abdication of our individual political responsibility in favor of mindless comfort and indulgent entertainment is what ultimately leads to a civilization's downfall.
-- Crime of Fashion; Terri Clark gives Cinna his due by bringing to light how his fashion choices in dressing Katniss was the torch that lit the flame of rebellion.
-- Bent, Shattered, and Mended; Blythe Woolston talks about how each tribute deals with his/her own form of PTSD after surviving the Games-- which, now that she's pointed it out, is completely obvious to me, and yet I somehow managed to gloss right over that when I first read the books.

I need to reread this series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Was on Fire.