Madeline's Reviews > Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

Illusions by Richard Bach

Apr 11, 10

Recommended to Madeline by: its pricetag
Recommended for: um, fans of Johnothan Livingston Seagull
Read in April, 2008

um... probably the nicest thing to say about this book would be... a dumb mans "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

anyway, i saw this book at a garage sale for 25cents... that made me pick it up. what made me *buy* it was this introduction

"I do not enjoy writing at all. If I can turn my back on an idea, out there in the dark, if I can avoid opening the door to it, I won't even reach for a pencil. But once in a while there's a great dynamite-burst of fling glass and brick and splinters through the front wall and somebody stalks over the rubble, seizes me by the throat and gently says, "I will not let you go until you set me, in words, on paper." THAT is how I met "Illusions."

could i NOT read this book?!?

also, the back of the book has like a starry night time scene and says only "More than a great national bestseller. A great way of looking at life." - - and since i'm on this spirituality kick, i thought i'd give it a shot.

unfortunately, "spirituality" is letting me down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illusions.

Briana I felt the same way when I read it the first time. It was so confusing! But I ended up picking it up 2nd time and liked it more. I' be now read it at least 5 times & I get more and more out of it everytime. Maybe give it another shot. Sometime when you have quite time to yourself & read it with an open mind. It really is great.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

try richard brautigan :)