Nancy Jurss's Reviews > Caleb's Crossing

Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks

F 50x66
Sep 10, 2011

Read from September 10 to 11, 2011

I loved this book. I loved the main character and her dilemma of being an intelligent woman in colonial America at a time of extremely limited options for a woman like that.

The author completely takes you into her mind by using some language that would have been used in that time while not bogging you down with too much of it to make it incomprehensible. It's easy to understand what she is talking about by context, although I enjoyed looking up several of the words in the dictionary to understand them completely. It keeps you in the time period.

Geraldine Brooks was a reporter before she started writing novels and the thoroughness of her research comes through in her writing. She puts enough details of every day life from that time period into the book that you get a clear understanding of the characters' daily lives. I loved her descriptions of the Indians lives and the lives of the scholars at Harvard.

Looking forward to her next book!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caleb's Crossing.

Susan I've never read a GB book that I didn't love. Although for some reason, March doesn't call to me (haven't read it). I have CC in Kansas and I am so eager to have time to read it, especially now, based on your review.