Maria's Reviews > The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More by Roald Dahl

F_50x66
Sep 10, 11

Read in September, 2011

Remembering the joy of reading Road Dahl as a child, I felt very excited when I received ‘The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar, And Six More’ as a birthday present. I read this book eagerly and was not disappointed. With seven short stories to capture the reader; including fiction and non-fiction, Roald Dahl once again writes with imagination, wit and intelligence. His use of description throughout these stories is spot on, enabling the reader to conjure some fantastic images. From a boy who can talk to animals to a man who sees with his eyes closed, Dahl hooked me from the beginning with originality and surprise.

Whilst mystery and humour most definitely exist, these stories do not stop here. Dahl’s clever way of writing makes the reader think beneath the surface and learn some valuable lessons throughout. ‘The Boy Who Talked with Animals’ for example, made me stop and think about kindness, greed and the importance of being true to what we believe in.

I feel that with careful choosing, this book would be most enjoyable and beneficial to children in Year 6. There is one story in particular titled ‘The Swan’ which I feel is aimed towards an older age group. Whilst it is clearly written well, it is very dark and even I, as an adult found it quite disturbing and sad.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and appreciated the mix between fiction and non-fiction. ‘Lucky Break’ and ‘A Piece of Cake’ allowed me to learn a little more about the great writer himself and once again appreciate his talent.

To be a good fiction writer (as Roald Dahl explains) “you should have imagination…make a scene come alive, and a keen sense of humour.” Throughout this book he most definitely ticks these boxes, compiling an interesting, humorous and enjoyable read. As always, a big thumbs up Roald Dahl!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More.