Anne (Booklady) Molinarolo's Reviews > The Invisible Bridge

Sep 10, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fall-2011, good-fiction
Read from September 01 to 09, 2011 , read count: 1

A 5 Star Book as many reviewers think? No. That being said, The Invisible Bridge is well written and researched. When thinking of the Holocaust and WWII, Jews in Hungary do not readily come to mind. Ms. Orringer has bought to light the perils and tribulations of an untold story written in an uncanny Michener liked style: The Hungarian Jew. But unlike James Michener’s characters, Orringer’s primary character, Andras Levi, is perfect. And to borrow from Hilary Clinton the first fourth of the book required this reader’s “suspension of disbelief.” The love story between Andras and the beautiful, enigmatic Klara was simply too long and maddening. I wanted to slap both of them! And the book’s “coincidences” were sometimes over the top, but the Brothers Levi will stay in my mind and heart for quite a while.
In 1937, Andreas and Tibor Levi are in Budapest working to save money that will get them respectfully to France and Italy. Andras will study Architecture, while Tibor will study Medicine. Matayas is still in their home village of Konya on that September night where the first of many monumental coincidences occur. Andras would “later tell her that their story began at the Royal Hungarian Opera House, the night before he left for Paris on the Western Europe Express.”
Two years later (and hundreds of pages later) the Levi brothers find themselves in a very different Budapest from which they left, struggling to survive and provide for their families as Hungary falls to German control. A sweeping story that shows the true human foundation: our spirit and enduring love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Bridge.

01/31 marked as: read

Ann A Absolutely agree with your review, Anne. I have about 150 pages left, and certain parts drive me crazy and it's too long. However, I do like some things about it.