Phyllis Laatsch's Reviews > A Lily Among Thorns

A Lily Among Thorns by Rose Lerner

F_50x66
Sep 10, 11

Read in September, 2011

I loved the hero, Solomon - definitely a quiet, beta kind of guy who stuttered when confronted, but with hidden strength and hidden depths. The heroine, Serena, was a bit shakier for me - she was a wallflower when she was young, then slept with a footman and then ran away to join a brothel. And then she became a famous courtesan and then opened an inn and somehow she became a queen of the underworld and everyone was afraid of her. Not sure how that last bit happened.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book because of the way the hero and heroine brought out the best in each other - strength for the hero and softness for the heroine, who had dealt with her rehabilitation in the polite world by fighting back and gradually learned that with Solomon's help, she could let it go. She felt a bit one-note for a good deal of the book, though.

I really liked Solomon's identical twin, of whom Sol was always jealous, but who had more trouble than Sol could even comprehend. I think some of the enjoyment of the book was watching Sol become a lot less naive about the real world.

The story dragged in a few places when it felt like nothing new was happening and nothing new being revealed.

Overall, it was a gripping story with love and spies and a secret twin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lily Among Thorns.