Jena's Reviews > Obsidian

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Oct 05, 11

bookshelves: favorite-boys, favorites
Read from October 02 to 03, 2011

Witty, refreshing, and electrifying. With a brilliant set of characters, laughs, and sexual tension that will have you pulling your hair out, Obsidian is the perfect page turner that will have you begging for more.

After the death of her father, Katy and her mother believe it's time for a fresh start. But, their fresh start ends up being in the middle of no where Ketterman, West Virgina. Katy expects for her life to continue the way it was, her mother working all the time and Katy gardening and book blogging. Then, she meets her neighbors... smoking hottie McDickhead, Daemon, and his over energetic sister, Dee. Daemon wants nothing to do with Katy, but she is determined not to let that get to her. Soon, she finds herself trapped in world she could have never imagined existed, and well, having a too-hot-for-words jerk at your side doesn't help when you're fighting for your life.

Ever since I read Half-Blood (and fell in love with it), I've been obsessed with Jennifer's books. I stalked her blog, her twitter, her goodreads real hard. And with all my high hopes for her sequel to Half-Blood and her other books, Obsidian in no way disappointed me. Instead, I found myself in love with yet another of her series. This book is about Aliens, as you can tell from the official synopsis, and not only is it unique and new from other paranormal reads, it's a fascinating and beautiful type of alien. I really fell in love it and definitely wouldn't mind being a Luxen.

Next, I love how she touches on book blogging. That she intertwined it into her lead character's life. It's almost like a tribute to the blogging community and it gave me another thing to relate to Katy with. Katy is a strong lead character and I loved her for it. With her father dying, and her mother busying herself with work, yet still there for her daughter, Katy is very independent, and it's just one more thing I relate to. I don't have many close friends anymore like I used, and I'm constantly going places, and accomplishing tasks on my own and in my opinion it just makes me a stronger person, as we can see Katy is just that, a strong person. Katy deals with a lot through Obsidian, and she handles it all with bravery and her own little spice. :)

Other than Katy, we have the hot-and-cold-pure-sex-with-amazing-green-eyes Daemon, and his ball of energy twin sister Dee. So many times in a book, you turn the pages and live for those steamy scenes between the lead "couple", and I admit of course I ADORED those scenes (I mean how could you not! UNF), but in Obsidian I also admired that Jennifer was able to pull me into the other scenes as well, particularly with Dee. I loved Dee and her over-energetic self. She's the type of fun-loving girl who would light up a room just by being in it. She just wants a normal friend, and she's a good friend at that.

So, um, yeah.... Daemon. Can I just say the banter between Katy and Daemon had me feeling so much emotion. Sometimes I was laughing, others my jaw was dropping or wanting to hit one of them, and there were the times when I just wanted them to jump on each other... if you know what I mean ;). Daemon has the looks... the tanned, perfect sculpted body. The unruly wavy locks, with electric emerald eyes (which we all know is my favorite), but his personality is well hot-and-cold to say the least. Just when you think he's a complete jerk, he shows a softness. And just when you think the softness is there to stay, he flips the switch and he's back to the rude idiot that you cannot help but love any way. The relationship between Daemon and Katy just caused me so much angst. There were so many parts where I was just like 'Come on... come on... SERIOUSLY?!' And I have to admit, I loved it. There's so much sexual tension between these two that it seeps through the pages. I love feeling emotions like that, just makes the book 10x better for me. Oh, and the pen poking... poke me anytime Daemon ;).

There was so much I could rave about this book. I loved the role that every character played. I adored the dance and party scenes. I ADORED the lake scenes. Kitten... yeah, I thought that was funny yet cute. The alien lore was so creative and I really truly loved reading about it. I love Daemon's wittiness and arrogance and how Katy played right back along with him. I thought the writing was beautifully written. Finally, I love how Jennifer takes romance, laughs, real life situations, thrills, and paranormal and wraps it all up into one brilliant book.

It's seductive, electrifying, and full of spice, Obsidian is a perfectly wrapped story that will have you flipping the pages faster than the speed of light. And it's easy to see, especially with how it ended, that I am DYING for a sequel. :)

*A HUGE special thank you to Jennifer and Entangled Publishing for letting me read this so far in advance. It means SO much to me and I honestly could not explain my excitement. I love your books Jennifer, and cannot wait to read more of them in the future! :)*
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obsidian.

Quotes Jena Liked

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You look like you're twelve. No. Maybe thirteen, but my sister has this doll that kinda reminds me of you. All big-eyed and vacant.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“The day my internet was hooked up was better than having a hot guy check out my butt and ask for my phone number.”
tags: katy

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“My palms itched to have a close encounter of the bitch-slap kind with his face.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I hate you and your freaky alien powers.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Thanks,” I muttered and added under my breath, “Douchebag.”

He laughed, deep and throaty. “Now that’s not very ladylike, Kittycat.”

I whipped around. “Don’t ever call me that,” I snapped.

“It’s better than calling someone a douchebag, isn’t it?” He pushed out the door. “This has been a stimulating visit. I’ll cherish it for a long time to come.”

Okay. That was it. “You know, you’re right. How wrong of me to call you a douchebag. Because a douchebag is too nice of a word for you,” I said, smiling sweetly. “You’re a dickhead.”

“A dickhead?” he repeated. “How charming.”

I flipped him off.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Beautiful face. Beautiful body. Horrible attitude. It was the holy trinity of hot boys.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“But no matter where I went, what I was running from would still be with me—Kat. She wasn’t just back in the house, in that bed. She was with me now, inside me. And there was no outrunning that.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I couldn't stop staring at his mouth when he spoke. I bet he knew how to kiss. Perfect kisses too, ones that weren't wet and gross, but the kind that curled toes.
I needed to stop looking at him in general.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I'm not leaving, Kitten. You're going to do this."
My mouth opened as did the door behind us. Stomach dropping, I turned to see Mom standing there in all her fuzzy-bunny pajama glory. Oh, for the love of God.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You know what they say about boys next door...”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Dee loves it here. Before you came, she spent most of her days here."
To Daemon, my arrival was the beginning of the end. The apocalypse. Kat-mageddon. "You know, I'm not going to get your sister in trouble."
"We'll see.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I've always found that the most beautiful people, truly beautiful inside and out, are the ones who are quietly unaware of their effect." His eyes searched mine intently, and for a moment we stood there toe to toe. "The ones who throw their beauty around, waste what they have? Their beauty is only passing. It's just a shell hiding nothing but shadows and emptiness.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I didn't want to spoil the mood. This was probably the longest Daemon and I had ever spoken without some statement earning him the finger.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I'm sure I look like a drowned cat."
"You look fine. The wet look works for you."
I scowled. "Now I know you're lying.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I was feeling the height of bitchiness.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Daemon!" Dee called from the kitchen. "I need your help!"
"We should go see what she's doing before she destroys your kitchen." He rubbed his hands down his face. "It's possible.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Ash is going to kick your ass, Daemon."
Daemon's grin went up a notch. "Nah, she likes my ass too much for that.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I think it's obvious if you're wanted here or not."
"Daemon," hissed Dee, her cheeks red. She turned to me, tears in her eyes. "He's not being serious."
"Are you being serious, Daemon?" Ash turned in his lap, head cocked to the side.
My heart was already pounding in my chest when his eyes met mine. His were sheltered. "Actually I was being serious." He leaned over the table, staring up at me through thick lashes. "You're not wanted here."
Dee spoke again, but I was beyond hearing. My face felt like it was on fire. People around us were starting to stare. One of the Thompson boys was smirking while the other looked as though he wanted to crawl underneath the table for me. The rest of the kids at the table were staring at their plates. One of them snickered.
I'd never been more humiliated in my life.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Will you show me what you really look like? You don't sparkle, do you?”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“How long have you been standing there?"
"Just long enough to see you give Daemon the middle finger."
"He deserved it.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“At least I don't look like a Christmas tree."
"You look like the star atop the tree.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I didn't tell you this because I'm sure you would've changed your mind about the dress."
"What?" I frowned. "Does it make my butt look big?"
She laughed. "No. You looked stunning in it."
"Then what's the deal?"
Her smile turned downright mischievous. "Oh, you know, just that the color red is Daemon's favorite.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Remind me," he paused, drawing in a stuttered gasp, "to never piss you off again. Christ, are you secretly a ninja?”

“Am I glowing?"
"Like a Christmas tree."
"Not just the star?"
The bed moved a little, and I felt his hand brush my arm. "No. You're super bright. It's kind of like looking at the sun.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I bet you think things through, right? Accept candy
from strangers and get into vans with a sign that reads free Kittens?”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“And this is why you don’t want me to be friends with Dee, because you were afraid that I’d find out the truth?”
“That, and you’re a human. Humans are weak. They bring us nothing but trouble.”
My eyes narrowed. “We aren’t weak. And you’re on our planet. How about a little respect, buddy.”
Amusement flickered in his emerald eyes. “Point taken.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“So the dickhead had a name. Daemon—seemed fitting. And of course his sister would be as attractive as him. Why not? Welcome to West
Virginia, the land of lost models.”
tags: katy

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You look like you got more of a bath than the car. I never
thought washing a car would be so hard, but after watching you for the last fifteen minutes, I’m convinced it should be an Olympic sport.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Aliens—if they exist—are little green men with big eyes and spindly arms or…or giant insects or something like a lumpy
little creature.” Daemon let out a loud laugh. “ET?”
“Yes! Like ET, asshole. I’m so glad you find this funny.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Some powers come more easily to others, but Matthew rocks at reading energies.”
“What?” I set my fork back down. “Our biology teacher is an alien? Holy crap…all I can think of is that movie The Faculty.” Dee choked on her orange juice. “We don’t snatch bodies.”
I hoped not.”
tags: dee, katy

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You haven’t locked yourself in any rooms or rocked in any corners, right?”
I rolled my eyes and began walking again. “No Daemon, but thanks for making sure I’m mentally sound and all.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Oh, yeah.” Carissa nodded. “They were googley-eyed in class on Friday. It was pretty steamy, the whole ‘I’m
screwing you with my eyes’ thing they had going on.” I choked on my drink. “That was not what we were doing. We were talking!”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Why are you such an ass?" The words came out before I could think twice.
"Everyone has to excel at something, right?"
"Well, you're doing a great job.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“If she was mine, I'd cherish every inch of her. And I wanted to. Now”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Anyway, back to the kids."

"Well, one is a girl who looks about your age, and there's a boy." She grinned as she stood. "He's a hottie."

A tiny piece of egg caught in my throat. It was seriously gross to hear Mom talking about boys my age. "Hottie? Mom that's just weird.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“My mouth opened as did the door behind us. Stomach dropping, I turned to see Mom standing there in all her fuzzy-bunny pajama glory. Oh for the love of God. Her eyes went from me to Daemon, completely misinterpreting everything. The glee in her eyes made me want to vomit on Daemon's head.”

“You jerk."

Grinning, he backed down the steps. "I'll see you at noon, Kitten."

"I hate you," I hissed.

"The feeling's mutual." He glanced over his shoulder. "Twenty bucks says you wear a once-piece swimsuit."

He was insufferable.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
Holy Hawt Chemisty, Batman!
tags: lesa

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“What's your deal?" I asked in the hallway after class. "I know you did that."

He shrugged. "So?"
... "That was rude, Daemon. You embarrassed him." ... "And I thought using your ... stuff would draw them here?"
... "That was barley a blip on the map. That didn't even leave a trace on anyone."
He lowered his head until the edges of his dark curled brushed my cheek. I was caught between wanting to crawl into my locker or crawl into him. "Besides, I was doing you a favor."
I laughed. "And how was that doing me a favor?"
... "Studying math wasn't what he had in mind."
That was debatable, but I decided to play along ... "And what if that's the case?"
"You like Simon?" His chin jerked up, anger flashing in his emerald eyes. "You can't possibly like him."
... "Are you jealous? ... Your jealous of Simon?" I lowered my voice. "Of a human? For shame, Daemon.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Because this absolutely insane - the craziest thing I'd ever done. Worse than giving a one-star review, scarier than asking for an interview with an author I'd give my firstborn to eat lunch with, more stupid than kissing Daemon.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Swimming was the last thing I wanted to do. Drowning him? Maybe.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Daemon stilled above me. 'I won't hurt you, Kat.' His tone was softer, but still laced with fury as he tried to control me without doing any real damage. 'I could never hurt you.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You don't look like an alien!' It seemed important to point that out.

He arched a brow. 'And what do aliens look like?'

'Not...not like you,' I sputtered. 'They aren't gorgeous--'

'You think I'm gorgeous?' He smiled.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“For a moment, I pretended. Not that we weren't two different species, because I didn't see him that way, but that we actually liked each other.

And then he shifted and rolled. I was on my back, and he was still on the move. His face burrowed into the space between my neck and shoulder, nuzzling. Sweet baby Jesus...Warm breath danced over my skin, sending shivers down my body. His arm was heavy against my stomach, his leg between mine, pushing up and up. Scorched air fled my lungs.

Daemon murmured in a language I couldn't understand. Whatever it was, it sounded beautiful and soft. Magical. Unearthly.

I could've woken him up but for some reason I didn't. The thrill of him touching me was far stronger than anything else.

His hand was on the edge of the borrowed shirt, his long fingers on the strip of exposed flesh between the hem on the shirt and the band of the worn pajama bottoms. And his hand inched up under the shirt, across my stomach, where it dipped slightly. My pulse went into cardiac territory. The tips of his fingers brushed my ribs. His body moved, his knee pressed against me.

I gasped.

Daemon stilled. No one moved. The clock on the wall ticked.

And I cringed.”

“She's a stupid-'

'Be careful what you say next.' Daemon's voice was low but carried. 'Because what you don't know and what you can't possibly understand will get a bolt of light in your face.'

My eyes widened, as did pretty much everyone's in the room. Ash swallowed thickly and turned her cheek, letting her blonde hair cover her face.

'Daemon,' Mr Garrison said, stepping forward. 'Threatening one of your own for her? I didn't expect this from you.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Daemon arched a brow. 'Are you feeling me up, Kat? I'm liking where this is heading.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I don't think he meant to kiss me," I said finally.
"What? Did he slip and fall on your mouth? Those things are known to happen.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Oh no I know that look. What are you thinking?
That this is the most ridiculous declaration of attraction I've ever heard”

10/02/2011 page 10
2.99% "Hahah okay. I already love this!"
10/02/2011 "Hot boy with killer touch?! .. kale??? ;)"

Aydrea Ahh lucky, can't wait to read this one!

Jena Aydrea wrote: "Ahh lucky, can't wait to read this one!"

you'll love it!

Aydrea Jena wrote: "Aydrea wrote: "Ahh lucky, can't wait to read this one!"

you'll love it!"