Emilie's Reviews > The Smell of Apples

The Smell of Apples by Mark Behr

Sep 10, 11

bookshelves: read-beacuse-of-school, library
Read in September, 2011

This book was a very quick read, only about 200 pages, and it is set in early 70'ties South Africa. I decided to read the book because I have a big school assigment coming up and I thought I might analyze this novel and wrtite about SA and Apartheid in English and history. I'm not sure I'm gonna do that. Don't get me wrong there were some things I liked about the book and I don't regret reading it (it was very pretty short, but I just don't think I could make a 5-page analysis about it. I was quoite interresting how the narrator was a young boy, who was just beginning to see the the world and it's inhabitants for what they truly are. I also liked how the reader could see how much of an influence your parents have on you and how this was portrayed through the narrator's view of people and especially of the coloured people in his life. I didn't really like the way "The Smell of Apples" is actually to stories about the same boy in one. I thought it was confusing how we all of the sudden were hearing about him fighting in Angola in the 80'ties and then suddenly being back in Cape Town. I didn't get why we had to hear about this, we all know that war is hell. I also didn't understand why the author didn't divide the book into chaptors, but I guess that is just isn't his style. The last thing that bothered me was the thing with the narrators friend (all you who have read it will know what I mean). It was horrible and it is not that I don't think that authors shouldn't write about it because it is a serious problem and tabus need to be dealt with, but I jus didn't feel like it really brought anything to the story. So all though there were some things that I didn't like about the book I would say that "The Smell of Apples" was an okay read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Smell of Apples.