Kita's Reviews > The Merchant of Death

Sep 10, 11

bookshelves: forced-myself-to-finish
Recommended for: Preteens
Read from September 06 to 10, 2011, read count: 1

The characters of Pendragon were mostly either dull or two dimensional. While I liked Bobby for the most part, his character seemed a bit lower than average; there weren't any quirks to Bobby that gave off the feeling of a real guy. I think the author was trying too hard to make him realistic that he ended up lacking in some areas.
Uncle Press was about as cryptic and bland as any stereotypical teacher in a hero storyline. His character was in no way compelling and I couldn't help but inwardly groan whenever he made an appearance.
Bobby often referenced Alder as a goofball but I disagree. Alder was a little clumsy, but I don't think that his actions would label him as a goofball. I would have liked to read a little of how he survived as a spy in the Bedoowan palace if he was such a goofball, anyway.
Loor was probably one of the most well-developed characters and I did enjoy her interactions with Bobby.
Mark and Courtney were mostly uninteresting, Courtney especially. I thought Mark was a good and reliable friend, which made him an ok character. I can't stand Courtney. She came off as a boring love-interest. Most of what I learned about Courtney came through Bobby, rather than Courtney's actual acts and interactions.
The sentiments of the Milago and Bedoowan were realistic enough, so I had no problems with them.

I found the plot to be very predictable and I wasn't surprised by the plot twists. The details that the author chose to leave out about Travelers (coughcoughDoctorscoughcough I know I'm not the only one who noticed the similarities)and territories, didn't bother me considering that Pendragon is a series, but I was getting very irritated when Bobby kept repeating the same information over and over again.

Overall, Pendragon was an ok read. 2.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Merchant of Death.