Spencer Gold's Reviews > The Sweetest Fig

The Sweetest Fig by Chris Van Allsburg

M_50x66
Sep 10, 11

Read in September, 2011

I really enjoyed looking at Allsburg's illustrations as I feel like I am taking a trip to a museum. His pictures are so realistic looking as if they were photographs. I feel his illustrations have this strong white borders to give more of the impression of looking at a picture. His vivid drawings bring the characters to life. I feel as if they are almost real people I am looking at. I wonder if he uses anyone as inspiration for the characters he draws.

This is a story of a greedy man who only seems to care about his self. He is more worried with appearance and money then he is about all living things. This is almost a fairy tale/fable of a story with of what is really important in life. I did enjoy the story (thanks alot to Allsburg's illustrations), but was kind of let down the very predictable ending. I was hoping for something different then what happened. I prefer the mysterious ending he gave us in The Stranger. However I would still recommend people getting the book for the pcitures and if you like a good fable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetest Fig.