Angela's Reviews > The Lying Game

The Lying Game by Sara Shepard

Sep 10, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, confusing, cliff-hanger, female-pov, mystery, stereotypical
Read in August, 2011

The main reason why I decided to read The Lying Game is because I watched some of the episodes of the new TV series based off of The Lying Game. The show was mediocre and cliched, but I was still interested. Too bad, the TV series is loosely based off of the novel and has a better plot.

I admit that this plot is not very original. I have seen media with a similar plot released a year or two before The Lying Game was released. An example is Arisa, a manga by Natsumi Ando. In this series, the girl Tsubasa pretends to be her sister as her sister is in a coma after trying to commit suicide. Not very different, you have to admit.

The problem I had with The Lying Game was the fact that nothing made sense. Emma is supposedly smarter than Sutton, yet she is ten times more dense and idiotic. One cannot tell whether they are sympathetic to her or want to destroy her. This was my issue with.

I also could not deal with the fact that Sutton was narrating the novel. She always mentions the fact that she is dead, but she never seems to have any problems with it. Wouldn't you have any issues with the fact that you were murdered?

The Lying Game is a fast paced, but somewhat cliched story similar to The Prince and the Pauper. A modern version of a fairy tale, without the princesses and witches. The mystery incorporated is suspenseful and well done. I just hope that Ms. Sara Shepard will create a series with a different plot.

One can read The Lying Game as long as they can deal with profanity used fairly often throughout the novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lying Game.