Alicia's Reviews > Hush, Hush

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

5019740
Sep 10, 2011

it was ok

The similarities between Hush, Hush and Twilight cannot be denied or ignored – I’m really not a fan of prologues (they’re often pointless, misused purely to make the story sound interesting, confusing and usually the sign of a bad book) so when I started to read Hush, Hush I instantly thought ‘Oh god no…’ (which I thought again when I read that it’s getting a graphic novel), coupled with the whole ‘forbidden romance’, magical mythical creature turned mysterious-hot-new-guy-in-school and I was thoroughly expecting to dislike Hush, Hush; I was quite wrong – it’s definitely not the best book I’ve ever read, but I found myself enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I also realise it’s inevitable that stories will have uncanny coincidences towards each other but it still ruins the reading experience when they’re so undisguised and obviously there so the author can collect a larger paycheck owing to Twilight’s infamous popularity.

I adored the humour in the book, and I really liked Fitzpatrick’s writing – it draws you in but at times, such as the prologue and the stupid-nothing-to-do-with-story title, she is trying far too hard to be poetic and it really doesn’t work. The pacing was well done, and it did have you turning pages. However, Patch was a pretty bad jerk a lot of the time, not to mention genuinely dangerous almost all of the time, and you know like character development is generally supposed to make you like the characters in the book more? Well, the little character development that occured sort of went the opposite way in this book – I really liked Vee and Nora in the beginning, but Vee developed into an awful friend and Nora kept on doing really stupid things – she continuously claims Patch frightens her, yet as soon as she meets him she’s overcome with desire and forgets all her hate for him and just ends up being annoying.

The story and ending were predictable, many many things were insufficiently explained, I got very sick of all the smutty innuendos curtsey of Patch, and I don’t think it was made too clear at what point they fell in love with each other; nonetheless Hush, Hush is still an enjoyable, if forgettable, read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hush, Hush.