Ariel's Reviews > The Shining

F_50x66
Oct 01, 11

bookshelves: horror, favorites
Read from September 28 to October 01, 2011

I am on a 70's horror kick right now, having just finished Ghost story. I can't believe that I had never read this book. I think it was because I was already familiar with the general plot not so much from the Kubrick film but from the miniseries in 1997. After Ghost story I just had the feeling that I really wanted to read this and I am so glad that I did. I literally could not put it down. I have read several of King's later works. Some I loved, Duma Key and and Bag of Bones and some I detested, Cell and Dreamcatcher. None of have been like The Shining. The story was tight and the horror just keeps coming and coming. No wonder this is considered the gold standard of the genre.

I am sure everyone has the plot down. Washed up dad who can't control his temper takes the care taker job at a secluded resort during the winter with his wife and psychic 5 year old son Danny who's powers turn on the the evil in the hotel. I didn't remember what a jerk Jack was before the hotel even got a hold of him. Wendy should have left him long before they ever arrived at the Overlook. The psychological unraveling of Jack is as unsettling to read about as what lies in the tub in room 217. Of course things don't end too well for poor old Jack or the Overlook for that matter. This book makes want to visit the Stanley Hotel in Colorado on which the Overlook is based, minus the tour of room 217 of course.

So which to watch after reading this book? The Kubrick movie which changes up the book quite a bit or the more faithful Stephen King sanctioned miniseries from 1997. I think i am going to revisit the miniseries since it was actually filmed at The Stanley. Now that I have finally read The Shining I am super excited to see what King has in store for his planned sequel. I am sure that a boy of Danny's powers had more than one adventure after surviving The Overlook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shining.

09/28/2011 page 110
09/29/2011 page 200
40.0% "I can't believe that I have never read this book before, I LOVE it. I guess it was because I knew the story from the movie but the book is so much better. I want to go to the Stanley Hotel so badly."
show 3 hidden updates…