Swiftsea's Reviews > The Tower of Ravens

The Tower of Ravens by Kate Forsyth

1937376
Sep 10, 11

Read in September, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I had no idea what I was to expect when I picked up the Tower of Raven's at my school's library. I had mixed feelings since I had trouble even getting half-way through the slow-moving fantasy book I had tried to read before it. It was starred less than the Tower of Raven's on goodreads.com but I didn't bother checking before I started.

The Tower of Raven's did not disappoint. The dialogue amongst characters and the expressions of both Rhiannon and Lewen were rather amusing that at times I couldn't at all help laughing out loud to myself. The Tower of Rhiannon strongly touches and appeals to emotions of people in a realistic manner, from desperation to protection and love.

It's my first time picking up a Kate Forsyth book. As a result, here on hence, I'm certain I'd be reading more of hers, much like my fascination of works from Traci Harding and Julia Gray.

I found the beginning of the book rather unusual, unfamiliar with the myriad species' of the world of Eileanan. What were these mysterious horned beasts called satyricons? Why were the characters enjoying food through their feet? How very odd. :O It was only into the 4th chapter did I realize the creatures of this world were different. You might consider me rather slow but I was slightly hoping it was otherwise as if I had to read about the constant gruelsome murder of how the satyricons lived throughout the rest of the book, I would be describing how I vomited all over this piece of writing.

However, that was not the case at all. :) Although I hardly saw the point of having a black-winged horse other than in Rhiannon's need to escape, the other characters, especially Iven and Nina were incorporated well into the lives of the young apprentice-witches.

The Tower of Raven will make you laugh at the characters and the dialogue but blow all your confusion and frustration towards the barbaric satyricon beasts.

Only took a day to read this book. I could not put it down! Other than for dinner of course. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tower of Ravens.