The Literary Bystander's Reviews > Awakening

Awakening by Cate Tiernan

May 22, 2014

liked it
Read on September 10, 2011

This is going to be a pretty damn short review, because I didn't have that much material to gripe/gush about with this book. I felt that it was more filler but still gave us more information regarding the over series plotline. This is a direct continuation from Dark Magick and after being betrayed by Cal, Morgan has to come to grips with the reality of the situation of exactly who she is and why there are people after her, and prepare herself with Hunter and others for when they do.

Most things I've talked about in the previous book, are pretty much seen here - so I won't get into that. What I did love about this book was the development of the relationship between Hunter and Morgan. While they don't have the antagonistic attraction (for me) to rival, say Tom Mackee/Tara Finke in Saving Francesca - they do seem to border upon a love-hate relationship, although the hating is mostly one-sided on Morgan's part. While there isn't that much time put into actually developing their romance and giving us more reasons why we should totally pair them together - I do actually feel some chemistry between them. In short, I just LOVED every moment with them, especially when we get hints of Hunter's growing crush on Morgan - which was just simply ADORABLE.

Finding out more about Cal and what he was and is capable of just made me hate him even more. Or maybe it is because I have little pity for bland characters, I don't know. Also, his mother Selene just sounded batshit insane and almost scared me - if she didn't sound like a typical over the top villain. But she still scares me.

I gave this 3/5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awakening.

09/10/2011 page 188
100.0% "Call me a sappy romantic, but I read the last sentence and simply went AWWWWWWWWW "