Jensownzoo's Reviews > Pride Mates

Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley

Sep 11, 11

bookshelves: to-read, bookstore-physical, 2011-reads, paranormal-romance
Read in September, 2011

I must admit that I am not terribly familiar with the romance genre, so it may be that some of the things that made me roll my eyes in this novel are acceptable.

The first thing that struck me was how thick the author laid it on right from the start in terms of the physical attraction felt between the two main protagonists. Instead of being sexy, it was quite off-putting. A little more subtlety and a little less blunt force trauma would have been much more palatable. Now if this had continued throughout the entire book, I wouldn't have been able to finish it. Roughly about halfway through the author starts making use of her skills (which I *know* she has because I've read some of her other novels).

Second. The characters didn't seemed to be connected to their environment or circumstances very well. You could have picked up the story from Texas and plunked it down anywhere, really. Kim could have had any occupation -- being a lawyer really wasn't crucial to the story like it seemed the author was trying to convey. The author managed to convey some details about everyday life in a world that contained Shifters (the breakfast scenes, Connor and his movie) but with good world-building you need to subtlely permeate your entire story with that to really be able to transport the reader into it. Again, it failed to anchor the story.

Now, with all the griping out of the way, I did actually enjoy the story in the end. It was just that it had so much potential that went to waste. I will be reading the next volume in this series, hoping that I will come away a bit more satisfied.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride Mates.