Melindeeloo's Reviews > The Dragon Who Loved Me

The Dragon Who Loved Me by G.A. Aiken

Sep 10, 11

bookshelves: historical-paranormal-romance, paranormal-romance, loaned
Read in September, 2011

Like the previous book, the romance in The Dragon Who Loved doesn't get to hog the spotlight. In this latest Dragon Kin story there's sort of a three pronged attack with the starring pair being the focus as they move between the other main threads with: the dragon brothers (Briec, Feargus, Gwenvael, and Eibhear), their Cadwaladr kin and the Northern Dragons in one battling group; Annwyl and Izzy sneaking off from Annwyl's army for a secret mission in another; and Dagmar, and Talaith minding the kids and holding down the home front in the third - all of which allows us to catch up with pretty much everyone from all of the past books. It was fun to see past characters, though some of them don't quite 'pop' like they did in their own stories.

The leading pair this time is a Cadwaladr cousin Rhona, and while she is every bit as deadly as her kin, Rhona is, gasp, a nurturer so much different than our past leading ladies and Vigholf who has seemed a bit cloddish in the past book is amazing patient in waiting for his chance with the dragoness he has decided is his and ends up a pretty decent leading man - um, dragon. There are weapons and wounds along the way for Rhona and Vigholf but for a dragon dragon pairing, their courtship is amazingly smooth but still steamy and satisfying and wrapped up in a happily ever after - unlike previous pair Keita and Ragna who are here briefly and who are still working on theirs.

There is plenty of action with a fair number of skirmishes on the way as this story eventually brings almost everyone together for an epic battle, but I didn't find The Dragon Who Loved Me to be as nonstop hilarious as my favorite in the series, What A Dragon Should Know - which is probably going to continue to be a hard act to follow, it was just that funny - but there still are enough laugh out loud moments to give it that Aiken flavor.

I have to mention Izzy and Eibhear. Eibhear who started out endearing in the earlier books, is not at his best in this story. It's time for him to grow up, but with events that occur that transition is going to be a painful one and I hope that once he comes out the other side, Eibhear is ends up being a character I can root for - I wasn't a fan of Eibhear in this book. And there is no steamy tension between the pair in the one scene that they have together here, so nothing to to move them any closer to a happily ever after or even the hope of one in the near future.

There were, however, some interesting additions to the cast, as the Annwyl picks up some new allies, and I am betting that we'll be seeing one or both with books of their soon and even though series has moved to being more ensemble pieces instead of one-couple-a-book romances, I will definitely be on the look out for more of Aiken's Dragonkin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dragon Who Loved Me.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shera (Book Whispers) These sound like fun.

Melindeeloo It's sort of zany fun, with not too much reality to get in the way of the fantasy:)

Shera (Book Whispers) My kind of read!