Esther's Reviews > Officer Buckle & Gloria

Officer Buckle & Gloria by Peggy Rathmann

May 20, 2008

bookshelves: childrens
Read in April, 2008

I was reading several children's books in a row trying to scope out the next book for Early Learner Book Club. Thus far I had been disappointed in the writing and stories of the previous books. I then picked up Officer Buckle and Gloria with little hope or enthusiasm. I loved it! It literally was like a breath of fresh air and my hope was restored and I was reminded of all the good children's books I have read. Now, I thought that I might have been taking my praise a little overboard and that it was possible that Gloria just caught me at a vunerable time...so I put her to the test. I had Jared read the not so great books first and then read Officer Buckle and Gloria. He agreed with me, albeit a little less enthusiastically, that it was a very good book.

When we read it in Early Learner Book Club, which is for 3-5 year old children, a lot of the children did not seem to understand what was quite so funny about Gloria and why Officer Buckle was sad towards the end. In this book you do have to be able to understand the text and make inferences from the pictures and to your understanding of how others might feel. That is what makes this a great book but a little hard for children who are still in the preoperational stage of life. I do know that they will understand and love the book after a few rereadings though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Officer Buckle & Gloria.

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina Peggy Rathmann is a really good children's book writer. We've read all (I think) of her books numerous times and have never gone wrong. You should try The Day the Babies Crawled Away. Soooo good.