Jessica Holmes's Reviews > Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal

Tamar by Mal Peet

Sep 09, 11

bookshelves: favorites, my-collection
Read in January, 2009

I read this book quite some time ago and much to my dismay had since forgotten its title. I have since spent the past hour give or take trying my best to find it without much luck. As I was sighing and moving my mouse towards the large X in the corner I thought “I’ll just keep looking tomorrow. Oh, Tamar!!!!” I thought I was going to die of excitement.

This book was worth the search and then some, if you like war books that is, and they are totally up my alley. The cover of the book drew me in instantly and I was drooling over the contents before I could get home and curl up to begin my journey into World War II. It’s told from two points of views, one being present day Tamar, and the other of her grandfather during the war. The story unfolds wonderfully and brings tears in the end, happy ones, and makes you wish you hadn’t reached the last page yet. Granted, this isn’t for everyone. I’m the nerd in history class that can’t stop asking questions about war so this genre is probably my favorite (historical fiction) and I fell in love with this book. However, if you don’t like historical subjects, you’ll be wishing you had picked another book.

All in all, I can’t wait to read it again. And then maybe again, after that. I loved it and hope this helps encourage others to travel into a world that really does encompass exactly what the title advertises, a tale of espionage, passion, & betrayal, but yet so much more as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tamar.